Maintaining a strong and healthy smile may take some work, but it’s not impossible. If this is one of your oral health goals, our Smiles Dental team has a tip for you: The best way to maintain a strong and healthy smile is to fight plaque. Plaque is a harmful substance that is white and sticky. It clings to your teeth and creates tooth decay and gum disease. So, if you want to fight plaque, we recommend doing the following things:
- Brush your teeth twice a day with a soft-bristled toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste. Make sure you brush for at least two minutes and you do your best to scrub each tooth thoroughly.
- Floss your smile at least once a day. You can use a flossing product of your choice—just make sure it gets the job done.
- Rinse your mouth with mouthwash daily. The mouthwash should be one that nourishes, strengthens, and deeply cleans your oral cavity.
- Have a balanced diet and try to avoid eating sugary and carb-loaded foods.
- As you clean your smile each day, make sure you use products that have been approved by the American Dental Association. This will help you safely and effectively clean your teeth.
- Replace your toothbrush every 3-4 months or once it becomes worn out. Using a worn toothbrush is never helpful.
- Visit your dentist every six months for a dental cleaning and checkup.
Dr. Sarah Barber and our dental team care about you and your oral health, which is why we encourage you to call 360.553.3271 if you have any questions or if you would like to know more about plaque prevention in Vancouver, Washington. We also encourage you to schedule an appointment with your dentist if you’re due for a dental cleaning. We look forward to hearing from you!